My husband loves mac & cheese and this non-dairy version is healthy and tastes so good.
Cheese, Not Cheese
- 6 or so small red potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 yellow onion (outer skin removed)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast *
- 1/2 C cashews (soaked in hot water for 10 minute, discard soaking liquid before use)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice ( I’ve used white vinegar and it works just fine)
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- Water to thin (you can use the cooking liquid from the potatoes and carrots
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Make sure to wash all the vegetables.
Cut the potatoes in half to make them similar sizes. Chop the carrot in two.
Toss the potatoes, carrot and onion in a pot of cold water (enough to cover) bring to a boil and cook for 12 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
Drain the water from the pan (reserve some liquid to thin your cheese) and add the potatoes, carrots, onion, and the rest of the ingredients to a high speed blender (I use a Vitamix) and blend until smooth adding reserved liquid as needed.
Use immediately as a cheese sauce for nachos, add to macaroni for mac and cheese (we love to add a can of green chiles for a little kick), top broccoli and cauliflower. Really, this stuff is so good you can eat it from the spoon.
Store in the fridge for up to five days.
Hope your family enjoys it as much as we do!
* Tried many kinds of nutritional yeast until I found one that I like. Sari brand nutritional yeast is all I will buy from now on. To me, it really does make a difference in taste.
2 thoughts on “Cheese, Not Cheese”
Looks great! Sounds healthy! I’m going to try it!
LikeLiked by 1 person
We love this cheese not cheese. I hope you all like it!